Friday, January 31, 2014

Still Running

After working all day and going to a meeting, I got home at 5:30pm and laced up my running shoes.  It will soon be time to start riding but I'm just not ready yet.  And its still butt cold. 

The sun was low on the horizon and I took off up the pavement.  Dropping into the woods I was pleased to find that the snow on the trail was only mildly packed down and not an icy mess. 

My feet gently crunching on the snow, I focused on breathing deeply and relaxing. 

After about 10 minutes of running, I was comfortable.  Not too hot, not too cold.  This is something that I have enjoyed about running this winter. 

The sunlight faded and twilight moved in.  My legs and lungs were feeling good so I lengthened my distance.  Passing one other person with a  light and two bottles, I wondered how far he was going and thought it would be fun to join him.

A big black dog greeted me in the middle of the trail.  No humans on the trail,  he must belong to one of the nearby houses. 

The frozen trees above whispered in the wind and I made it to my turn around.  Heading back as darkness continued to fall, I didn't race it.  I stayed steady and allowed myself to be swallowed up by the absence of light. 

Back out onto the pavement and heading home, I soaked it all in.  Thankful to be heading home to warmth and dinner, and looking forward to temps in the 40's and 50' over the weekend!

Its good to be alive.

No comments: